Thursday 8 January 2009

53 years ago today...

53 years ago to the day, Jim Elliot (one of my missionary heroes) and his four missionary friends were martyred whilst trying to reach the Waodani people in the Ecuadorian jungle with the gospel.

I read Through Gates of Splendour, a biography about Jim Elliot, a year or two ago and it has been really influential in my growth as a Christian. One thing that's really struck me was that they were no different to you or me. They were just normal Christians who were obedient to God and took the Great Commission seriously.

Here's a brief video explaining the story of how the Waodani people were reached.



(HT: Justin Taylor)

3 comments:

Larry said...

Get a copy of his letters off Amazon. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journals-Jim-Elliot-Elisabeth/dp/0800758250/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231616487&sr=8-1)
I first through the gates in my first year at Uni and outside of the Bible Jim E probably did more in shaping me in that year than anyone else.
(Thanks for the post!)

Ralph said...

Good ol' Jimmy E.

I am, however, disappointed to discover that I still haven't made it onto your list of friend's blogs.

Oh Tim...

Tim Sandell said...

Larry: Thanks for the book suggestion - looks like an interesting read!

Ralph: Thanks for pointing that out - I've just added you to the list. Sorry!

Powered By Blogger